International trade represents unparalleled opportunities like never before. But with those opportunities come a set of barriers that must be overcome to enjoy the benefits of an international marketplace.
Of these, legal issues can be the most daunting. Globalization and its challenges are a real concern for many firms both in and outside of the United States. Competition from imports is tempered by the fact that those imports often times face trade restrictions in the form of high tariffs, quotas or customs issues.
It is not uncommon for trade regulation lawyers to deal with the following issues:
- Preferential trade programs
- Customs valuation and border protection laws
- Market access investigations
- Patent, trademark and copyright infringement
- Intellectual property protection
- Economic sanctions laws
- International contract laws
- Export licensing
- Immigration issues
- Compliance with several international laws, including the Buy American Act, the Federal Corrupt Practices Act, the Berry Amendment, and International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
- International business litigation issues
Many times, a trade regulation lawyer will be asked to develop or make use of existing international relationships. For businesses from foreign countries, this can be related to U.S. contacts. And for U.S. businesses, this can be for contacts throughout the world. One of the ways this takes place is for a legal firm to be a member of the World Services Group, an international association of legal and professional services firms that provide services in 180 jurisdictions worldwide.
Trade regulation lawyers must also be adept at monitoring the complex and a constantly shifting array of public policy, legislative and regulatory affairs that can change how a business is able to conduct itself in an international forum. Maintaining a good relationship with political office holders can also provide significant value when advocating for the rights of a business lawyer’s interests.
Zagrans Law Firm proudly serves Cleveland and the surrounding Ohio communities of Brooklyn, Lakewood, East Cleveland, Parma, Seven Hills, Rocky River and University Heights.